How to Choose the Right Decorating Roller

How to Choose the Right Decorating Roller

Posted By: John Published: 20/08/2019 Times Read: 1198 Comments: 0

When it comes to painting, there are so many different types of tools, brushes and rollers to choose from, it can get confusing as to which is the best option to go for!

Here in our handy guide, we will go through all the different types of roller sleeves you can use and might need for your painting expedition.


Why Use a Roller Instead of a Paint Brush?


While paint brushes and rollers are both used for the same thing – dispersing paint – they both do two very different jobs.

Rollers are designed for much larger tasks such as ceilings, walls and large furniture. There are a variety of sleeves available which all give different finishes, and they distribute paint more densely and more evenly than paint brushes can. The various porous surfaces of different roller sleeves hold much more paint than a brush and distributes an even layer of paint much faster.


Roller Handle


The first thing you need for the roller set up is a roller handle. The roller handle and the roller sleeve (which is what you use to apply the paint) are two separate parts, that come together to make the painting roller.

A roller handle is the main component that is used with all rollers, it’s the roller sleeves that vary, and which one you use will be determined by what effect you are going for, and what surface you are painting.


Different Roller Sleeves


The roller sleeve is the part that the paint is applied to and they come in all different shapes and materials. The length of material (also known as ‘nap’) will determine the outcome. As a rule of thumb, smooth surfaces such as large, smooth walls should be painted with short naps, and rougher textures, such as bricks and masonry, should be painted with longer naps. The rougher textures help get the paint into every nook and cranny!


So, What are the Different Types of Roller Sleeves?


Microfibre and micropoly roller sleeves have the smoothest surfaces of all choices of rollers. With this soft, porous material, paint is evenly and densely coated over surfaces. Microfibre and micropoly rollers the best option for the smoothest finish and thickest coverage.


Deep pile rollers offer a different sort of texture and coverage. Generally, as a rule, the longer the pile, the more uneven the texture.


Woven roller sleeves are great for holding paint and, because of its woven structure, there is minimal pile fallout, which is useful for keeping debris off your fresh work.


Foam roller sleeves work best with thinner paints and for those wanting a smooth finish. Oil paints are generally too thick to be used with a foam roller and would give an uneven finish, however, they do absorb a lot of paint. This is bad news if you are looking for full coverage, but if you are looking for a thin, light coating, the foam roller and thin paint option may be the perfect combination for you. 

Different Paints


Depending on what paints you are going to use will determine what roller you would need in order to be satisfied with the outcome. The way different rollers disperse and work with paint varies. The other thing to bear in mind is the surface you’re painting. So, make sure to check which paint is suitable and then choose a roller suitable for both the paint and the surface.


We hope you have found this guide to rollers helpful for your next painting project! If you are looking for a paint that can do more than just cover your walls, have a look at our anti mould paints, to keep your walls in tip top condition long after they have been painted!


Products related to this post

ACS Anti Mould Emulsion Paint
ACS Anti Mould Emulsion Paint

£28.80 Ex Tax: £24.00

Add to Cart

Related Posts


Write Comment